Central Daylight Time
January 31, 2023
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Joe Pikas will present “RSTRENG and Defect Assessment”.
In 1999, PHMSA issued the final Operator Qualification (OQ) rule enhancing training requirements for pipeline operators. The rule, which was adopted into the Code of Federal Regulations under Subpart N in 49 CFR Part 192 and Subpart G in 49 CFR Part 195, requires pipeline operators to document that certain employees have been adequately trained to recognize and react to abnormal operating conditions (AOCs) that may occur while performing specific tasks.
Specific tasks include recognizing pipeline AOCs such as weld, material, cracking, corrosion that require training and certification for assessment of these defects. Technical Toolboxes offers training in the recognition of these defects, in-depth assessment as well as certification in the assessment (RSTRENG) of corrosion defects to meet your OQ requirements. Engineers, Technicians and Managers who have been trained and have demonstrated a sufficient understanding in the use of the RSTRENG calculations as required in 192 and 195 to assess corrosion by both written and a practical examination will receive their certification and education units.
- Introduction to Pipe Defects
- Site Analysis and Documentation
- Holidays and Defects
- Identify & Classify Corrosion and Other Indications
- Prioritization of Indications
- Dig Examinations
- Analysis and Report Results
- Post Assessment
- Industry Standards (ASME/API/NACE)
Evaluating Corroded Pipe Using RSTRENG
- G, Modified B31.G, and RSTRENG
- Finding and Measuring the Corrosion
- Interaction Rules
- Level 1 and Level 2 Evaluations
- ASME B31G and Modified MAOP
- Updating Files
- Introduction to Pit Gauges to Measure Pitting on Various Samples (Video)
- Running Pitting Calculations on RSTRENG HUB
- Producing Files and Reports
- E-mail Report to Instructor
- Knowledge Exam and a short homework assignment in lieu of the practical (classroom) component for the Level 1 Certification
- E-mail Test to Instructor
- Level 1 Certification of Completion (upon completion of knowledge exam) and 7 PDHs OR
- Certificate of Completion with 7 PDHs (without completion of Level 1 Certification knowledge exam)
- Course notes provided electronically
- 7-day software access to RSTRENG+
Joe Pikas is a consultant for Technical Toolboxes with more than 50 years of experience in pipeline construction, operations, corrosion control design, and implementation, including pipeline engineering management. He is an expert in pipeline integrity management, risk management, coating materials selection, cathodic protection design, and testing, and internal and external pipeline corrosion control.
In 2009, he was awarded the NACE Distinguished Service Award and received an industry award in 2002 from AGA, GTI, INGAA, NACE, OPS, and PRCI International. Also, he has contributed over 50 papers to industry trade magazines, NACE, SSPC, and other publications and conferences.
Read more about Joe Pikas by viewing his instructor bio page.
Join us for this event remotely by registering and logging in on your preferred digital device.