December 10, 2019 - December 11, 2019
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
This training has the minimum required to hold the class and is finalized to proceed. Venue Information Below. Once you register, you will receive our information on how to book with our corporate rate for the hotel. Seating is limited so register ASAP.
Joe Pikas will present “RSTRENG & Pipeline Defect Assessment” on December 10 and 11, 2019, in Houston, TX. Class ends at 12pm on the second day.
This training program is for certification, training, and testing of individuals seeking technical certification for corrosion assessment. In addition, dents, gouges, weld anomalies and related pipe and vessel defects will be covered for assessment and analysis.
Written Examination Required
Practical Examination Required
A Level 1 practical examination consists of the following two (2) types of defects to be analyzed:
- Corrosion assessment on multiple pipe samples using B31.G, Modified B31.G and RSTRENG analysis with report and spreadsheet.
- Dent assessment with ASME B31.8 and Modified B31.8 analysis.
- Gouge analysis with ASME B31.3 and ASME B31.8 analysis
- 12 PDHs available with Certificate of Completion
Who Should Attend
- Corrosion Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Integrity Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- ILI Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Pipeline Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Pipeline Inspectors Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Non-Destructive (Ultrasonic) Inspection Companies such as Mistras, Team, Accuren, Applus, TechCorr, etc.
- Pipeline Integrity Services & Consulting companies such as Houston Inspection Field Services, Integrity Inspection Services, Coastal Corrosion Services, Mears, Matcor, Mesa, etc.
This extensive and dynamic 1.5-day training program covers:
- Understanding and recognizing pipe defects
- Flaw detection
- Measurement corrosion features/defects
- Analysis of corrosion features and feature identification
- Data features for post processing and reporting
- ASME B31.G, ASME B31.G Modified and RSTRENG+ for corrosion
- Introduction to Pipe Defects
- Field Verification
- Site Analysis and Documentation
- Locate & Define Defects
- Coating Holidays
- Corrosion Mapping Tools
- Identify & Classify Corrosion and Other Indications
- Prioritization of Indications
- Dig Examinations
- Analysis and Report Results
- Post Assessment
- Metallurgy Introduction
- Intro to PL Metallurgy
- Steel Composition
- Pipe Manufacturing
- Types of Pipe
- Why Pipelines Fail
- What Flaws Impact the Pipeline
- Time Dependent
- Time Independent
- What Data is Required for Assessment
- Establishing MAOP
- Identify Risk Factors
- Flaw Acceptability
- Corrosion Assessment
- RSTRENG+, ASME B31.G, Modified ASME B31.G
- Repair Methods
- Composite and Metallic Sleeves
- Type A & B
- Pressure Reduction
- Understanding Barlow’s Formula
- Data Input Requirements
- Exporting from Excel or other tools
- Corrosion analysis
- ASME B31.G – Level 1
- ASME Modified B31.G – Level 1
- RSTRENG – Level 2
- Corrosion analysis
- Practical Examination
- Corrosion defects to be analyzed
- Corrosion assessment on pipe samples using B31.G, Modified B31.G and RSTRENG analysis with report and spreadsheet.
- Written Examination
- Review Test Results
- Course notes in paper and flash drive format
- Certificate of completion
- Trial version of RSTRENG software
- Breakfast and Lunch
Joe Pikas is Vice-President, Pipeline Integrity and Corrosion Engineering Services for Technical Toolboxes with more than 50 years of experience in cathodic protection, above and underground coatings, corrosion control design and implementation which includes project engineering management. He is an expert in pipeline integrity management, risk management, coating materials selection, cathodic protection design and testing, and pipeline internal and external corrosion control.
In 2009, he was awarded the NACE Distinguished Service Award, and received an industry award in 2002 from AGA, GTI, INGAA, NACE, OPS, and PRCI International. Also, he has contributed many papers for industry trade magazines, NACE and SSPC publications and conferences.
- (45 Years in the Control of Pipeline and Facility Corrosion)
- Vice President Pipeline Integrity, Technical Toolboxes – 2012 to Present
- HDR|Schiff – Senior Corrosion Consultant 2011 – 2012
- Mistras IMPro Technologies – Vice President of Pipeline Integrity 2008 – 2010
- Matcor – Vice President of Houston Operations 2002 – 2008
- Williams Gas Pipelines (Transco) – Pipeline, Corrosion Control, Risk, Integrity, GIS, Pigging
- NACE Distinguished Service Award for 2009.
- Received industry award in 2002 with the Utmost Respect and Gratitude from AGA, GTI, INGAA, NACE, OPS, and PRCI International.
- Received Long Neck Award from Big Inch Marine in the research and development for pre-fabricated isolating flanges.
- Received Brandon Award for Outstanding Service from the Coating Society of the Houston Area