February 26, 2020 - February 27, 2020
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Joe Pikas will present RSTRENG & Pipeline Defect Assessment Training in Kansas City, MO, on February 26, 27, 2020.
This training has met the class minimum and is finalized to proceed.
This training program is for certification, training, and testing of individuals seeking technical certification for corrosion assessment. In addition, dents, gouges, weld anomalies and related pipe and vessel defects will be covered for assessment and analysis.
Written Examination Required
Practical Examination Required
A Level 1 practical examination includes analysis of the following types of defects:
- Corrosion assessment on multiple pipe samples using B31.G, Modified B31.G and RSTRENG analysis with report and spreadsheet.
- Dent assessment with ASME B31.8 and Modified B31.8 analysis.
- Gouge analysis with ASME B31.3 and ASME B31.8 analysis
- 12 PDHs available with Certificate of Completion
Who Should Attend
- Corrosion Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Integrity Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- ILI Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Pipeline Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Pipeline Inspectors Managers, Engineers, and Technicians
- Non-Destructive (Ultrasonic) Inspection Companies
- Pipeline Integrity Services & Consulting Companies
This extensive and dynamic 1.5-day training program covers:
- Understanding and recognizing pipe defects
- Flaw detection
- Measurement corrosion features/defects
- Analysis of corrosion features and feature identification
- Data features for post-processing and reporting
- ASME B31.G, ASME B31.G Modified and RSTRENG+ for corrosion
- Introduction to Pipe Defects
- Field Verification
- Site Analysis and Documentation
- Locate & Define Defects
- Coating Holidays
- Corrosion Mapping Tools
- Identify & Classify Corrosion and Other Indications
- Prioritization of Indications
- Dig Examinations
- Analysis and Report Results
- Post Assessment
- Metallurgy Introduction
- Intro to PL Metallurgy
- Steel Composition
- Pipe Manufacturing
- Types of Pipe
- Why Pipelines Fail
- What Flaws Impact the Pipeline
- What Data is Required for Assessment
- Establishing MAOP
- Identify Risk Factors
- Flaw Acceptability
- Corrosion Assessment
- RSTRENG+, ASME B31.G, Modified ASME B31.G
- Repair Methods
- Composite and Metallic Sleeves
- Type A & B
- Pressure Reduction
- Understanding Barlow’s Formula
- Data Input Requirements
- Exporting from Excel or other tools
- Corrosion analysis
- ASME B31.G – Level 1
- ASME Modified B31.G – Level 1
- RSTRENG – Level 2
- Corrosion analysis
- Practical Examination
- Corrosion defects to be analyzed
- Corrosion assessment on pipe samples using B31.G, Modified B31.G and RSTRENG analysis with report and spreadsheet.
- Written Examination
- Review Test Results
- Course notes in paper and flash drive format
- Certificate of completion
- Trial version of RSTRENG software
- Breakfast and Lunch
Joe Pikas is Vice-President, Pipeline Integrity and Corrosion Engineering Services for Technical Toolboxes with more than 50 years of experience in cathodic protection, above and underground coatings, corrosion control design and implementation which includes project engineering management. He is an expert in pipeline integrity management, risk management, coating materials selection, cathodic protection design and testing, and pipeline internal and external corrosion control.
In 2009, he was awarded the NACE Distinguished Service Award and received an industry award in 2002 from AGA, GTI, INGAA, NACE, OPS, and PRCI International. Also, he has contributed many papers for industry trade magazines, NACE and SSPC publications and conferences.
- (45 Years in the Control of Pipeline and Facility Corrosion)
- Vice President Pipeline Integrity, Technical Toolboxes – 2012 to Present
- HDR|Schiff – Senior Corrosion Consultant 2011 – 2012
- Mistras IMPro Technologies – Vice President of Pipeline Integrity 2008 – 2010
- Matcor – Vice President of Houston Operations 2002 – 2008
- Williams Gas Pipelines (Transco) – Pipeline, Corrosion Control, Risk, Integrity, GIS, Pigging
- NACE Distinguished Service Award for 2009.
- Received industry award in 2002 with the Utmost Respect and Gratitude from AGA, GTI, INGAA, NACE, OPS, and PRCI International.
- Received Long Neck Award from Big Inch Marine in the research and development for pre-fabricated isolating flanges.
- Received Brandon Award for Outstanding Service from the Coating Society of the Houston
“I really enjoyed today. You answered so many questions and really put the puzzle pieces together for me.”
“Excellent insight into the industry and methods used.”
“Joe is passionate about the subject and so was able to keep us engaged.”
“Very interesting. Most of the course directly related to work that I am currently working on.”
“For my experience level (less than 4 years in the industry), I couldn’t have asked for more. The course was designed such that I could follow and understand clearly.”
“3D models for measuring were great and presentation was through.”
The handouts are “a great guide and reference tool for the future.”
“Well done. Clear communication and very easy to understand.”
“Very good interaction.”
Venue: Hotel Indigo Kansas City Downtown
Venue Phone: 816-283-8000
Housed in the beautifully renovated 1930s-era Brookfield Building which held ticket offices for various train stations, the Hotel Indigo Kansas City Downtown offers a reminder of the rail lines that put this city on the map. As a nod to this 12-story tower’s past, our 118 guest rooms are styled with travel-themed touches — including postcard and postmark designs in rooms — and the lobby features a train mural. You can start the day with a cup of locally-brewed Parisi coffee before heading out to must-see spots like Union Station, the Arvest Bank Theater, legendary jazz clubs and world-class restaurants just steps from the hotel.